Sunday Summary Week 36
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)
I've done something absolutely terrible this week. Half inspired by my mum, half inspired by Stevie from The Velvet Epidemic and half inspired by my own despair (I know the math doesn't add up, but just bare with me), I've been cleaning. Cleaning in the sense of donating TWO full bags of clothing and ONE full bag of shoes (didn't even know I had that many shoes...) to the charity shop. Naturally I've done such a thing before (even more bags in one go, I think my record's at 8 or something ridiculous), but it's different this time.
Normally I feel a sickening regret creeping up on me at night. I'll be contemplating about all of the potential the clothes/stuff/rubbish had and how much I loved them and how much I miss them and and and!! But not this time. I've been keeping it cool (fun fact: did you know the word cool meant cool in the sense of not cold but, ya know cool, around the year Hitler became head of Germany. Not that this 'change' in meaning has got anything to do with Hitler, but rather because of the (as almost any slang has got its origin from) jazz movement. Although, just to add, the origin origins of the word cool is actually Germanic, related to the Dutch word 'koel'. Just so you know...). I'm not hyperventilating, I'm not sweating, I'm a changed woman! I even, just so y'all can see how serious I am about this, have been thinking about making 'rules' of when I'm allowed to buy or not to buy. I mean, I've gone bonkers! I'm yet to write this list of rules down properly, but to give you a preview:
- The first rule of 'Dominique you've got to stop buying shit loads of shit-Club' (for short: DYGTSBSLS-Club) is: You don't talk about DYGTSBSLS-Club.
- The second rule of DYGTSBSLS-Club is: You DO NOT talk about DYGTSBSLS-Club.
- Third -and at the moment main- rule is: Don't buy anything you can make yourself.
- Fourth rule: You DON'T need trumpery. Put that [insert object here] down. NOW.
- Fifth rule: Why you need that? When you gonna need that? Are you really gonna wear that? (to add: you've still got quite a lot of stuff at home, don't you fool yourself and anyone reading this that you've only got one dress hanging in that clothing rack of yours, because we all know you're lying, liar).
- Sixth rule: You're broke anyway.
If you've got any tips or rules you think I should add to my list, please let me know in the comments below!