5 Things I'm Thinking

by - January 21, 2018

Is that a picture of your lunch? Yes, yes it is. The idea behind it: food for thought. Also yummy lunch...

"Isn't this just '5 Things I'm Loving' but then instead of loving you've used the word thinking because you want to seem intellectual while, if you were truly intellectual, you'd be writing your paper -which is due next week- instead of a silly blogpost on things you're loving. Oh sorry, my bad, thinking." Sssshh, subconscious mind, don't spoil it now! I've said I'll post at least one blogpost every week and I can't let the people (me) down!

A blogpost a week... *deep sigh* At the beginning of the year, when writing all the potential ideas I coould work out, it seemed like an easy-peasy job. "Why limit yourself to one?", I thought to myself overconfidently. "I've got hundreds of ideas brewing in my brains! I can easily write two if not three blogposts a week! I'll be a superstar and everyone will love me!". Yeah. No. I actually do have another blogpost written, a review on a James Dean biography, but I thought it was a bit 'too much' to start this year with two disillusioned 1950s icons in a row (before you know it you get yourself a certain reputation).


So instead, following in the footsteps of Jemma from Dorkface (sort of. Not really. Apparently I'm quite bad at copying other people...), here are 5 things I'm thinking about at the moment:

1. I want exactly that! But, like, not like that...

Let's start with the thought shortly mentioned above: why am I so bad at copying other people? This could've just as easily been a '5 Things I'm Loving' blogpost and I could write a few words on, I don't know, how I've just snipped a bit of my bangs off and now I can see the world again and my life is (for now) completely changed. But noooooo, my brain tells me, as if it's the best idea I've ever had (it's probably a close 2nd), "what if -hear me out- we change loving into thinking." I look at my brain with widespread eyes "YAS brain, that's brilliant!".

For my fellow-sewing peepz among us, we are accustomed that when we make a dress using a pre-made pattern, it's probably not going to look like the dress pictured. Normally it will have a certain likeness to it, as you've used the same pattern, but the fabric might be different and one must never underestimate the power of body shape. However it's become a running joke in our household that when I enthusiastically exclaim "I want that exactly!", I actually mean 'I want that exactly BUT can we change everything about it so it becomes something completely different'. And this same attitude is, basically, the running philosophy behind my life. Which is a shame as I'm now actually really looking forward to the '5 Things I'm Loving' blogpost. Which I will never write as I find it too difficult. You've read that right, I find it too difficult to write about what I love.


2. Making things complicated

This has turned into a 'why????' quest very soon, but yeah *cue Avril Lavigne*: why can't things just be not complicated? Or, let me re-phrase that, why can't I ever leave things uncomplicated? May this initial idea of a blogpost be my witness, I think that sometimes when I stop thinking things would be so much easier. I could have one, two, three blogposts up and running each week, but instead I decide to write 1.417 words on a James Dean biography which I then sideline only in favour of a long -I don't know what you're getting out of this but it sure works like therapy- ramble. Smart move, Dominique, a true genius at work.

This links back to my hesitation towards writing 'easy' blogposts about what I love, as I find that what I love -although I love it deeply- isn't interesting to read about (not that this is much better). I get the idea of reviews and how they can benefit people who are interested in getting the same or similar products. And I myself can say I benefit from reading these kinds of 'easy' blogposts simply so I can piggyback on the enjoyment of the writer and experience some sense of excitement myself. Jk, in real life I'm a happy-preppy uncaring butterfly, this is all but an unsuccessful act I put on. Anyway, I find it difficult to pin-point a good middle ground between 'look at this. I like it' and 'look at me being a pseudo-intellectual trying to bamboozle you with this fake introspective act'.

3. Good vibes only

However I won't keep dwelling on all this negativity as this year I've incorporated 'good vibes only' to potentially improve my lifestyle in 2018. How it works? Just frantically yell 'positive vibes, positive vibes' after someone (you) said something negative or snarky. Then, this is the most important step, subvert your remarks by reversing it. So 'I hate everything' becomes 'I love everything'. Although it's not yet entirely sarcasm-resistant, I think it has potential in the 'fake it till you make it' sense. Before you know it life will be a breeze!


4. Uhm...

As always with lists, at some point I can't think of anything any more. Or at least my brain tricks me into thinking that all of my -in this case- thoughts are gone. However this somehow doesn't stop me from thinking and writing and it almost becomes a bad joke played on me by me that you, as a reader, got to put up with while I'm typing these words. Perhaps the relentless act of 'keep on writing' (to be read as Dory from Finding Nemo, not that I've seen that movie but I did recently watch a Film Theory about it, because I'm cool like that. I also watched one on Cars. I also haven't seen Cars. Now let's see if you still remember how I started this sentence in 1... 2... 3...) helps to form new thoughts and eventually get me through this list. I guess it's a good method to use when struck with writers block. Who knows, maybe you'll write something inspiring. Or sensible.

The funny thing of all this is -funny for me and not actually funny but 'funny'- is that I've spend the last few days writing a new about, contact and portfolio page (instead of writing my paper. Procrastination who?) as I'm planning on vamping up this blog soon with a new template and thus with new pages. Now comes the funny part: on my contact AND portfolio page I've written that I'm a wannabe writer and you can always contact me if you want something to be written by me because, you know, that's what writers do. But who will contact me after reading this train wreck of a blogpost? POSITIVE VIBES, POSITIVE VIBES!!! Everyone wants to contact me after reading this brilliant well-thought-out blogpost!


5. Please make me stop

I'm truly trying to start writing shorter blogposts, as this is getting ridiculous. Ain't nobody got time for reading all these brain farts! (I could've posted all of these things as seperate blogposts... it would've been five bad blogposts, but I'm not sure that accumilating them all together makes much of a difference...). Comment below 'I've read this whole train wreck but please don't ask me to do it again' if you, you know, did just that, and I'll give you a virtual pat on the shoulder and will forever be grateful. (Please hire me to write a blogpost for you! I will do it for free (as I think it would be a crime at this point to start asking money for it... POSITIVE VIBES, POSITIVE VIBES!!! I'm worth every penny in your pocket!)).

Believe it or not, I actually quite enjoyed writing this blogpost and I even think I will recycle this format in the future (only then limiting myself to, say, a hundred words per number. And yes, I fully realise I can easily edit this down to a nice, neat and concise blogpost, but I'm rather feeling the ramble today and will let you suffer through it all. You can skip the boring parts if you want to). So, what are you thinking?



You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. I love the idea of this post! I'm with No 3, positive vibes all the way :)!

    L xo
    www.lindsaymurrell.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending them to you! *uses Charles Xavier move from X-Men* You're receiving something yet? ;) It's good to be in a good mood!

      Delete
  2. This was such an interesting blog post to read! Also I love your photos! So cool and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really had NO idea what kind of pictures I should do with it (it's a bit of a chaotic ramble, isn't it?). It took me the whole morning and a long sulk before I came up with this (yes, inspired by my own lunch...) So I'm glad you like them!

      Delete
  3. I really liked this idea for a post, I wouldn't necessarily call it copying (although it is great that you have credited Jemma for inspiring you) - you really have to put your own spin on the post and turned it into something uniquely you, which is really valuable! Don't put yourself down!

    Your long and rambling blog posts always make me smile, I like the fact that you are so candid and that you share your stream of consciousness, it is great that you have your own distinctive style and it really sets your blog apart from a lot of others!

    I did chuckle to think of you screaming "POSITIVE VIBES" in the face of anyone bringing you down, I really like the mantra "fake it till you make it" because very often you do start believing in yourself a lot more quickly than you might think!

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that at least one person can appreciate my long rambles! (even my mother sighed when reading this post). ;) And yes, I actually did shout POSITIVE VIBES when my dad was moaning about the weather and it actually is, steadily, becoming a 'thing' here. I'm planning to slowly introduce it out into the open world until everyone is shouting POSITIVE VIBES and everyone is, eventually, feeling the -somewhat aggressive- positivity. It's a good start from there to world domination, I think... jk. (or am I? POSITIVE VIBES, POSITIVE VIBES!!). ;)

      Delete
  4. Love the idea of this post! It’s certainly something a bit different but now I have Complicated stuck in my head so thanks for that haha!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Same! The moment I thought of it I immediately regretted it already... IT JUST WON'T GO AWAY! ;)

      Delete
  5. Your baguette photos are cracking me up, I love them so much & they have so much personality haha. Baguette is life.

    Lilly xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should never beat yourself up about not posting as much as you'd like :-) Go with your own rhythm! Blogging should be fun, not stressful
    xoxo
    http://gingersnaphattie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you might notice with the delay of this response: I took your advice and just 'let it be'. So yeah... thanks for that. ;)

      Delete
  7. I think it's admirable that you chose to post long posts instead of short ones. I prefer longer and more rambly ones myself. So you shouldn't beat yourself up about that or for not posting more. Do your thing and all will be great! :)

    -Leta | www.thenerdyme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another fan of long posts! I'll be sure to show my mother your comment (she sighed multiple times when reading this one). ;) Perhaps a good balance between short and long (shong?) will be more attractive for the less-wordy readers (gotta catch 'm all). I'm actually a bit bumped out that I haven't posted anything two weeks in a row (does this comment count?) so perhaps that fuels me to write more and more and more and make up for all the lost words... although it most probably won't be great, so I'm aiming for 'alright' or 'it will suffice' so we can always climb the ladder up! ;)

      Delete