Monday Muse: David Bowie

by - January 11, 2016


I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.
David Bowie

Definitely not something I'd expected when opening my eyes this morning... 

David Bowie, David Robert Jones, died yesterday after an 18 month battle with cancer. YES, that's a lot to take in when you're half dreaming and half awake. I wasn't even sure, at that point, if I was dreaming or if I was actually awake. Unfortunately the latter seems to be the truth.

As it goes with icons and music legends, the name means so much more than than it seems to embody. David Bowie was so much more than just David Bowie. As he once said himself: I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human. I felt very punny as a human. I thought 'Fuck that. I want to be a superhuman'. May this be in the obvious way as Ziggy Stardust and other alter egos or the music he made or naturally the movies and plays he starred in. And may this also be in the less obvious way of the many things he 'catapulted' into (popular) culture and the many references and influences he's had on the way this all has developed over time (and naturally the way we look and appreciate certain aspects of this culture). Knowingly or not, David Bowie has paved a way for many artists of today (and the future) and the way they make music and most certainly the way they present themselves and this music.


I'm an instant star. Just add water and stir.
David Bowie

It's quite unbelievable, really, and at the same time it's the burden or tragedy that we all carry with us (how depressing that may sound...). However I can say without a doubt that through death David Bowie certainly most definitely hasn't died. He'll be immortal thanks to his work, his life and his general presence or existence he's had and will continue to have. As I read somewhere: One can not retire from greatness. Through being he's become so much more.
So. Much. More.

Love,
Dominique

You May Also Like

0 comments